A Halloween Miracle

It was late Sunday evening when I realized I had completely forgotten to pick up halloween candy for Monday's trick-or-treaters. Just as I was debating when I would have time to run to the store, Doug's neighbor stopped by. She works for Mars (the candy company) and had more chocolate than she knew what to do with--could we use any?

So, on Halloween night, my free bags of chocolate and I sat outside for an hour, happily treating the 40 or so kids that wandered up the steps. But, I had a flag football game to get to, so I piled the rest of the goodies into a basket on the porch with a sign that read, "Please take a treat," quietly accepting that I would never see any of it again, as some punk kids would probably empty the entire container in one fell swoop, steal the basket, and maybe smash a few of my pumpkins in the process.

I was stunned--stunned!--to return later that evening and find the basket in place, about 15 candy bars left, and all my pumpkins intact. It was indeed a Halloween miracle.

Comments