Soup's On

Craving Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Bisque, but not wanting to make the trip to the Kenwood store, I had to improvise. My version:

2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 small onion

I dumped these in a pot of water (chicked stock would be better, if available), boiled until very tender, and drained, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. I transferred the contents into a blender and pureed until mostly smooth, adding the liquid back in until the desired consistency. Poured back into the pot, I stir in:

a few shakes of cinnamon
salt and pepper
a few small pours of whipping cream (I'm sure half & half or milk would work, too; I don't usually keep cream on hand, but it was leftover from chocolate fondue ingredients)

Just before serving, another dab of whipping cream makes a decorative swirl in the bowl. Yes, I even garnish foods when I eat alone--presentation is half of the experience!

Comments