Spaghetti & Meatballs, Kind Of

I decided to try one of Shelterrific's real life test kitchen experiments: Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Meatballs. It was a lovely change of pace, and even Doug gave it the thumbs up. Of course, I've never been able to follow a recipe exactly as written, so here's my version:

Spaghetti Squash & Chicken Meatballs

Squash:
Cut one spaghetti squash in half. Place in a large, microwave-safe dish (cut side up) with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 10 min, or until softish. Let cool a bit, then use a fork to scrape out strands. Put them in a large pan and saute with a tiny bit of butter, salt and garlic.

Chicken meatballs:
Combine ground chicken with an egg, garlic salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and dried oregano. I used the same metal scoop I use for chocolate chip cookie dough to drop even rounded balls onto a greased baking sheet. I baked them for about 30 min in a 400 degree oven.

To serve, pile squash into a low bowl, top with jarred tomato sauce, meatballs and fresh parmesan. Enjoy!

Comments