Processed Food and other Treats...

I saw in the news that Gerry Thomas, the man credited with inventing the Swanson TV Dinner in 1952, died last week. It reminded me of how backwards some of my childhood thoughts were.

My mom is an awesome cook, and growing up we were treated with fantastic breakfasts nearly every morning; belgian waffles and strawberry sauce, pancakes, crepes, muffins, coffee cake, jellies and jams...ALL HOMEMADE. Seriously. (Mom, how did you do it??) Being young and not knowing any differently, I distinctly recall being jealous that other kids got to eat poptarts and other packaged goods on the bus.

Along these same lines, once we found out that dinners were available in these cool packages, with each food having its OWN compartment within the frozen box, we had to have one! We begged mom and she finally 'treated' us to a special Friday of frozen TV dinners and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I believe mine was salisbury steak. How I EVER thought that overly-processed food was better than my mom's cooking is beyond me. Kids...

Comments